Leave No Child Inside

Leave No Child Inside
Just another beautiful day!

Saturday, January 22, 2011

How To Make A Ribbon Barrette

Here is how to make a ribbon (covered) barrette:

OK, we all know of ways to duplicate an expensive item - this happens to be one of my favorite. The "oh-so-cute" ribbon barrettes that are every boutique and art fair are irresistible. But they also cost $2 - $3 a piece (or $5 for the pair), and as expected usually after the first time a toddle wears them, you only one left. So at one of the boutiques I brought a pair home to examine them more closely; in hopes I could make "matching" pairs to go with some of the outfits I had made my daughter.

So I found a pretty easy way to make them using those silver alligator  clips (you know the old fashion barber shops clips), 1/4 and 1/2 inch ribbons and glue. I also used gorilla clips to help hold in place the ribbon as I waited for it to dry. See picture.
So I started at one end and literally glued onto the silver clip the ribbon, holding it in place with the gorilla clips. Then I did make bows on the brown clips and glued those on too. HINT: to keep the ribbon from fraying I used a lighter to lightly burn the ends of the ribbon and give them a nice rounded finish. But be careful when using an open flame and know what kind of material you are using to avoid burning your self or starting a fire, and don't leave any of the materials where a child could get a hold of them. Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment