Leave No Child Inside

Leave No Child Inside
Just another beautiful day!

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Preggers?? I LOVED this book - you gotta read it!

Dear Preggers,
Haveing been there-done that, please allow me to suggest a book or two. I am not a big reader, so know that I looked through dozens of books at the Library, on-line and in book stores; trying to decied which ones to read. Were they worth it? Too wordy? Too bias? Too many big words? So hopefully I can help you cut through the crap and read ones that ultimatly helped me in my expereince.

"Birth - The surprising history of how we are born" by Tina Cassidy:
I LOVED this book! And I would recommend it to those pregnant or planning to, and wanting to know about the modern American birth experience! Out of dozens of books, this one was comprehensive, easy-to-read, and as neutral as it gets! I am not a huge history buff, but the way Tina explains the history of birth, pregnancies, techniques, procedures and doctors from birthing huts to hospitals. I was fascinated and couldn't put the book down as I moved from era to era!! It helped me a lot to understand our present day fears, the evolution of today's "standard" practices and helped me to develop my birth plan.
http://tinacassidy.info/

I have scene in some reviews of this book, with a comparison to a the movie. It is very different from the movie "Birth" with Wilson - which is more of a documentary and I think the confusion of it's relationship with this book overshadows it. Read the book first, then see the movie - you'll see!

I would also recommend "What to Expect, When your expecting" (lastest edition) - but that is kind of a given and it's easy to find, it is not as inclusive of the history. I found Tina's book at my library, but ended up buying one at amazon.com. Yes, it was that good - I had to buy a copy of my own, because I kept telling people to read it!! So now I shove it in their hands :)

As always best wishes and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment