Leave No Child Inside

Leave No Child Inside
Just another beautiful day!

Monday, March 22, 2010

The "Hot Seat" - risky business donations

Today someone bought and donated park benches to our department, to be used as “memorial benches”. Benches people buy in memory of someone. We have a memorial tree and bench program. They are placed in one of our parks and a small plaque commemorates the person(s). But our risk management does not allow us to accept them without proper authorization. Because they are placed in our parks, they have to meet strict structural standards. Such as meeting a certain weight tolerance, being made of only certain materials, they must be able to connect to the foundation in a certain way, and they must be fire resistant and retardant – Thus, brings me to the conversation I overheard in my cubical, quote “well, we don't know what they are made of, we do not know if they are just going to catch on fire”. I guess that gives NEW meaning to “being in the hot seat”.


When I heard that, I have not laughed that hard in a long time, and it was hard to get serious again. It's a shame that wasn't caught on tape!

No comments:

Post a Comment