Leave No Child Inside

Leave No Child Inside
Just another beautiful day!

Thursday, August 25, 2016

The random keys. Junk drawer.

I was going through our junk drawer and came across the same bowl we've had for almost 2 decades filled with keys. Moved from my husbands apartment 20 years ago, to his first house and then again 2 years ago to our new home now. I've cleaned it out multiple times. The keys have dust on them and haven't been used in years. I am not sure if they are extras, if they are left behind after said item was tossed or broken or lost, heck they might even belong to someone else. I don't even know how we got this many. As many times as I seen this bowl when I open the drawer, I can't remember once placing a key in there. Why do I have them? How do I keep accumulating more? I should just throw them out. But then I hesitate. What if?
What if I need a key and it's in here? What if, in the future I figure out what the key goes to (like I find my missing bike lock) but I've thrown out the key? What if I come across something locked - that by the way I must not have tried to unlock in the last decade - and I don't have the key anymore? There is even one marked "Emergency Key"...and I NO IDEA what it goes to! Essentially rendering it useless in any emergency! This key literally has no purpose.
Have you ever tried to throw out your keys? Keys are almost impossible to throw out. It goes against your every intuition in your body. I feel I'm hardwired to keep every key, "in case of an emergency". I've thrown out a key before, then reached down and gotten back out of the trash because I just had a feeling "I might need it someday". Not someday soon apparently.
I don't even use keys anymore. I use a garage door opener, I have key card at work and an electronic fob for the car and my new lock on my bike is combination. I should just throw them out, but I cant!!

No comments:

Post a Comment